Chili and Corn Bread

Posted By: Kristi

The weather is changing and so the other night I was feeling that a nice warm soup of some sorts was sounded very comforting. I wanted to try making a soup from scratch and decided on chili. I found a few recipes online and used a few ingredients from each. I also made corn bread from scratch to go with it.


CHILI

Ingredients:
1 Tbs. Olive Oil
2 Onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. ground meat (beef pork, turkey, any work well)
8 oz. bacon, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 8 oz. can green chiles
1 7 oz. can diced jalapeƱos
1 14 oz. can black beans, drained
1 14 oz. can pinto beans, drained
1 14 oz. can kidney beans, drained
1 14 oz. can corn, drained
1 Tbs. ground cumin
1/4 cup chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: Top with shredded cheese and sour cream.

Directions:
  • Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onions and garlic and cook over medium heat until transparent, about 5 minutes. Remove the onions and garlic and set aside.
  • Turn the heat up to high and add the ground meat and chopped bacon. Cook until browned, then drain grease. 
  • Add the rest of the ingredients. Turn the stove to medium and heat for about 30 minutes.
If you decide to, top with sour cream and cheese.



CORN BREAD

Ingredients:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup white or wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 8 inch square pan.
  • Melt butter in large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended.
  • Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan.
  • Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
  • Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
I was really happy with how they both turned out. I had leftover chili so I put it in a Tupperware container and placed it in the freezer. It will last up to a few months in the freezer just fine, a great go to meal.

4 comments:

  1. Yum. I love chili, I am always looking for new recipes. I am a new follower from the hop. Come by and say hi.

    http://thespringmount6pack.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for coming by and following along! I'm going to head on over now and check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They both look amazing! I stopped by from the blog hop and now a new follower of your blog thru GFC, Facebook and RSS Reader. I would love a follow back when you get the chance. Thanks so much for your help and while you are there register for the two giveaways I have going on! Have a great weekend!

    Mary@http://www.mmbearcupoftea.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, thank you so much for coming by! I just went over to your blog and followed as well. I hope you are having a great weekend so far!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...