Posted By: Kristi
The weather is changing and so the other night I was feeling that a nice warm soup of some sorts was sounded very comforting. I wanted to try making a soup from scratch and decided on chili. I found a few recipes online and used a few ingredients from each. I also made corn bread from scratch to go with it.
1 Tbs. Olive Oil
2 Onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. ground meat (beef pork, turkey, any work well)
8 oz. bacon, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 8 oz. can green chiles
1 7 oz. can diced jalapeños
1 14 oz. can black beans, drained
1 14 oz. can pinto beans, drained
1 14 oz. can kidney beans, drained
1 14 oz. can corn, drained
1 Tbs. ground cumin
1/4 cup chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: Top with shredded cheese and sour cream.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onions and garlic and cook over medium heat until transparent, about 5 minutes. Remove the onions and garlic and set aside.
- Turn the heat up to high and add the ground meat and chopped bacon. Cook until browned, then drain grease.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Turn the stove to medium and heat for about 30 minutes.
If you decide to, top with sour cream and cheese.
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup white or wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 8 inch square pan.
- Melt butter in large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended.
- Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan.
- Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
I was really happy with how they both turned out. I had leftover chili so I put it in a Tupperware container and placed it in the freezer. It will last up to a few months in the freezer just fine, a great go to meal.