The Elf on the Shelf

Posted By: Kristi


Only a couple more months and Christmas will be here! I love Christmas. I know, I know, I just expressed my love for Fall and now I am telling you how I love Christmas. Honestly, I can't help it. I am pretty much tickled pink the minute I feel Fall coming on all the way through New Year's. I am also a big believer in traditions. I enjoy family traditions more than I can express and I can't wait until we have children and can start traditions of our own.

I recently came across The Elf on the Shelf while reading reviews on Amazon. Everyone seems to love it and because it seems like a fun idea I thought I better share my findings.

Here is how it works. You receive a box and inside of it is a small elf and a book. You open the box on Thanksgiving night (or another day of your choosing) and learn through the book that the elf is here to stay with you until Christmas and every night will report to Santa at the North Pole to tell him how you have been behaving. Your child gets to name the elf and every morning when your child wakes up they go to look for the elf to see where it has "reappeared" after returning from the North Pole.

As the parent you have to remember to move the elf around but to me it seems like more of a fun task than a chore. Think about it, you get to be creative in deciding where the elf will be appearing everyday. Some ideas parents have shared are:

Tricky Elf
Use a roll of toilet paper to “TP” your Christmas tree or child’s room and put the empty roll in your elf’s arms.

Snow Angel
Sprinkle flour on the countertop and move your elf’s legs to simulate a snow angel.

Candy OD
Empty a bag of candy (M&Ms work well) around your elf and put the empty bag in his arms.

Fun with Friends
Set a scene with the elf hanging out with your child’s favorite stuffed animals. They can play a board game or have a tea party.


I am sure you can come up with some great ideas of your own. What do you think, is The Elf on the Shelf tradition worthy?


2 comments:

  1. I love Elf on a Shelf! We purchased one last year, but The Boy was really too young to understand. I'm hopeful, now that he's two that this year will be more fun!

    I'm a new follower. Cute blog!

    Best,
    Emily from Nap Time Is My Time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Emily! We are excited to come check out your blog too! If you remember, we would love how the Elf on the Shelf goes this year. I am sure your little man will love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...