Bookshelf Makeover

Posted By:  Stephanie

Wow, it feels like it's been a month since my last post, which was actually on Tuesday.  Kristi and I traded a few days this past week from when we normally post so I've had a few days off.  I hope everyone is has some grand plans for this weekend, for me it's going to be a hot and busy one!

On to the good stuff.  I looked over at our bookshelf about a week ago and decided it needed a makeover.  Will and I purchased this bookcase at Target and it was very inexpensive which was great but it just wasn't working for me.  I have a lot of black frames on the shelves and they were all blending into the background so I wanted to paint the back to make things "pop" a little bit.



Will was so nice and took the back off for me.  It is just two big pieces of cardboard, nothing special.



The paint I used was from the "oops" paint Will and I came across at Fred Meyer.  I was so excited because at a glance it looked like it was the same color as the mustard color in our rug in our family room.  Can't beat $5.00 for a furniture makeover!


Once the back pieces were off I took them out onto our deck and prepared to paint.


I decided to use a roller to eliminate any streaks that could come from using a brush.  The paint went on a lot lighter then I knew it would be when it dried.


I knew right away that I was going to need to paint two coats.


Once it dried I wanted to see the final color in comparison to the color in the rug.  I'm actually glad that it turned out lighter than the rug because once it's on the back of the self and shadows are there it looks much darker.


Here it is in two different angles.




Overall I'm very happy with how it turned out.  For a total of $5 (we already had the roller and paint pan) I got what seems like a new shelf and new things are always fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...